Wednesday, July 18, 2012

Mama Bean is KinderGARDENing (without the Inadvertent Farmer this year)

The Inadvertent Farmer has gone MIA, so she's not hosting the KinderGARDEN blog carnival as in years past, but I still have a garden and I still have kids, so I'm carrying on the spirit of it, and praying everything is alright in her neck of the woods.

This collage shows (clockwise from top left): yellow zucchini, onion flower, teeny tiny beginning cucumbers, thinned carrots, Papa Bean watering the jungles, mini brown pepper, Hungarian yellow wax pepper, green zucchini. PB is watering the potato bed there, which also has the cucumber plants that are unfortunately shaded by the potato plants. They are very short, but with lots of flowers, so hopefully they still fruit. The middle bed has a tomato jungle that I cut back (drastically) tonight, tying up escaped branches and centering tilting cages - I will never underestimate indeterminate tomatoes again, we are concocting some sort of crazy heavy duty cages next year. There are also green beans in the middle bed, which we ate stir fried with shrimp for dinner tonight.
 
This is the third bed. The peas along the trellis are pretty much done, they were sweet and lovely, little Sprout loves to pick them one by one out of the shell. She also loves when mommy takes a pile out of the shell and she can stuff them all in her mouth at once. Bean kept asking for peas, but not really eating them. There are four out-of-control tomato plants at the end, and then rows of carrots, lettuce, parsnips, and beets. I have taken out the two rows of spinach because they bolted before I could eat it. If I ever try to grow spinach again, I'm planting it somewhere really shaded, summers are too hot here otherwise.
 
Here's a parade of my tomatoes, of which I am ridiculously proud :) First are the Green Zebras.
 
These are called Hawaiian Pineapple. They are oddly pale, and multi-lobulated (?)
 
This is the Nyagous plant, which has the most tomatoes by far of all the plants. It has crazy escapee branches going all over the place, trailing on the ground. I'm worried the tomatoes higher up will weigh the branches down too much, I'll be watching this plant very closely.
 
Black Cherry. I am fascinated at how, even as unripe green tomatoes, they all look so different.
 
This is called Japanese Black Trifele. I love the unique pear shape.
 
These are Green Bulgarians, they look a lot like the Green Zebras.
 
Tomatoes not pictured: Persimmon, which has no flowers or fruit on it yet :( Carbon black, sungold, sun sugar, and sweet 100s. If anyone from KinderGARDENs still reads here, please leave and comment with your own gardening post, I'd love to catch up with your gardens and kiddos this year!

1 comment:

  1. Wow!! Your gardens are so awesome. So much green and so pretty. I love all the varieties of tomatoes. I just have three...the sweet 100's are doing okay, but the Early Girls are tiny tiny and the Cherokees aren't getting purple? We've had a lousy summer. It's raining now and my furnace is running...in July!!! Going to be a long winter. Glad you are blogging again. Muwah!!:)

    ReplyDelete